The Bottom Line
- Complimentary access to participating airport lounges
- Concierge service
- Premium travel assistance
- Manage account online or from mobile phone
- Excellent rewards program
- Expensive - $450 annual fee
- $175 annual fee for additional cards
- Can't carry over balances
- Credit card with accompanying rewards program that lets you earn points for dollars spent.
- No pre-set spending limit.
- Membership fee of $450; $175 for additional cards
Guide Review - American Express Platinum Card for Business Travel
For the business traveler, the Platinum Card offers numerous benefits (some exclusive), including:
- Free access to numerous airport lounges, including those operated by American Airlines, Continental, Delta and NWA.
- Ability to manage your account online, with downloading options for tracking business expenses. Additional customized statement tagging available to separate business from non-business expenses, making expense reports a cinch.
- Access to 24 hour/day concierge service when you need help (dining reservations, flight changes, etc.) on the road.
- Four times each calendar year, members can use free companion tickets for travel.
- Free travel protection
The one downside to the Platinum Card (in addition to the high fees) is that balances cannot be carried over. For those who have to turn in expense reports to get reimbursed, you may find yourself fronting hefty charges each month while you wait for expense reports to clear.
Any shortcomings of the card, however, will be more than made up for in free companion tickets, airport lounge access, travel protection and other perks, particularly if someone else is picking up your annual fee.